Easy and delicious, a jacket potato is a dish of cooked yam baked with its skin on. It can be eaten as an accompaniment to any meal or as a side dish. It’s now one of the most popular dishes in the UK, and has gained popularity in America as well. This post will teach you how to make this dish with ease.
- Wash your potatoes with water and dry them off with a towel
- Preheat your oven to 450°F
- Slice your potatoes in half lengthwise with a sharp knife
- Rub olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper on the cut sides of the yam until they are coated evenly
- Place the potatoes together on a baking sheet, cut-side up *Put them into the oven for 50 minutes or until they are soft all the way through (cooking time may vary depending on thickness).
What is a jacket potato?
A jacket potato is a dish of cooked yam baked with its skin on. The potatoes are usually peeled and then sliced in half lengthwise before being baked, which leaves the skin on.
The term “jacket potato” is believed to originate from the traditional method of cooking this dish. Yams were traditionally wrapped in cloth or paper before baking them, which helped keep them warm inside while cooking. This would make the outside of the yam dry like a crust which resembled the texture of a jacket (hence, “jacket yam”)
Variations of the dish
If you want to add flavor, try adding butter or sour cream into the center of the potato before baking
- Add steamed vegetables to your yam for a healthier option
- Top with bacon bits, grated cheese, or crushed chives for extra flavor
- Try using sweet potatoes or yams in place of white potatoes for a delicious variation
Where does it come from?
Jacket potatoes are a dish that comes from the British Isles. They were originally cooked in a pot on an open fire and later became popular in Ireland with the arrival of the yam in the 16th century. The dish is now seen around the world, including in America.
How long will it take?
The cooking time for a jacket potato will vary depending on the thickness of your yam. A thinner yam will cook faster than a thicker one. As a general rule, it’s safe to say that 50 minutes is about enough time for a medium-sized yam.
How to serve the dish
Jacket potatoes can be served as a side dish or as an accompaniment to any meal. The most popular way to serve it is with your favorite toppings, such as cheese, sour cream, bacon bits, and chives.
Jacket yam are a popular dish in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Canada. The dish is a type of baked yamthat has been peeled and then baked in the oven with a variety of toppings. It may also be served with a variety of toppings at a restaurant.
The dish is often served as an accompaniment to a main meal, such as chicken or fish, or as a light meal in its own right. A traditional Irish meal would typically be served with a choice of vegetables, such as broccoli, cabbage, carrots, peas, baked beans and mashed yam. The preparation of a jacket yam typically takes around 15-20 minutes in the oven.